Home School Service
In July 2019, HFM BOCES launched the Home School Service to help school districts and families with all aspects of the home school process.
The service is available to home school families residing in the Amsterdam, Broadalbin-Perth, Canajoharie, Fonda-Fultonville, Fort Plain, Gloversville, Johnstown, Mayfield, Oppenheim-Ephratah-St. Johnsville, Wells and Wheelerville school districts.
The Home School Service provides consistency in process, expectations, documentation and communication for parents. In addition, it provides a consistent level of expertise on which districts and families can rely.
For families who elect to educate their children at home, the Home School Service provides families with support throughout the year providing clear expectations and regular communication to ensure compliance with New York State Education Deparment regulations. In addition, the service can provide assistance for completion of paperwork and help connect parents with local homeschool support groups.
Districts are confronted with state-mandated responsibilities for students who are instructed at home. These mandates are based on state legislation or interpretation of federal opinions. In addition, the courts are involved settling precedent-setting disputes which can further inform districts. Home school coordination as a BOCES service provides consistency in process, definitions, expectations, documentation and communication for parents.
The Home School Service will review and maintain all student documentation to ensure compliance with New York State Education Department mandates and provide:
- Regional expertise dedicated to home instruction
- Central database for ease of access to records
- Regional consistency to insure equivalency of education
- Individualized Home Instruction Plans (IHIP) review
- Quarterly reports
- Annual Assessments
Other benefits of the services include
- Maintaining accurate files of all student documentation and parent correspondence
- Keeping parents informed of their home instruction obligations under Part 100.10
- Providing districts with regular updates regarding compliance
- Offering assistance for completion of paperwork