The application period for the 2019-20 freshmen class is now open.
HFM PTECH, Agriculture PTECH, and Foothills PTECH are committed to enrolling a diverse student population reflective of the geographic area served by HFM BOCES.
See below for information about the application process and deadlines associated with the 2019-20 application period.
Because of the way the curriculum is structured to allow for acceleration into college courses, only current eighth-graders are eligible to apply to PTECH, and students must enter the program their freshman year of high school.
To be eligible to apply to either PTECH school, students must currently be enrolled in school at a participating district and pass the eighth grade.
Each of the following school districts has slots reserved at PTECH based on their student enrollment.
- Greater Amsterdam School District
- Broadalbin-Perth School District (Ag PTECH only)
- Canajoharie Central School District
- Edinburg Common School District
- Fonda-Fultonville Central School District
- Fort Plain Central School District
- Gloversville Enlarged School District
- Greater Johnstown School District
- Lake Pleasant Central District
- Mayfield Central School District
- Northville Central School District
- Oppenheim-Ephratah-St. Johnsville Central School
- Wells Central School District
- Wheelerville Union Free School District
The application process involves getting recommendations from teachers and guidance counselors, along with completing an online application that includes a written statement and a form parents fill out. Applicants also will participate in an interview session.
- Meet with their school counselor to discuss the program and their application.
- Attend the informational open house on at the school to which they are applying.
- Complete the all the requirements of the online application form no later than the stated deadline.
Selection and wait-list process
Completed applications that are received by the deadline will be evaluated by the Application and Recruitment Team.
Selected students are required to attend a “Summer Bridge” program for incoming freshmen
Students who meet the requirements but who are not selected will be placed on a waiting list for their school. Should a slot become available before the start of the school year, it will be offered to a student from the waiting list for that school. If all the available slots for a particular school are not filled, a lottery will be held among students on the waiting lists for all the component school districts.
Important events and dates
Prospective Student Night
This is an opportunity to see the school and for parents to get details about the program. Prospective students must attend this information session at the school to which they are applying. You may attend more than one if you are interested in more than one PTECH school.
HFM PTECH: Wednesday, April 3, 305 Jansen Ave., Johnstown, NY 12095. Two sessions, starting at 5:30 and 7 p.m. An introduction to PTECH will be followed by a tour of the school.
AG PTECH: 6 p.m. Thursday, April 4, at Ag PTECH, 61 Monroe St., St. Johnsville, NY 13452. An introduction to Ag PTECH will be followed by a tour of the school.
Foothills PTECH: 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 2, at Johnstown High School. An introduction to Foothills PTECH will be followed by a tour of the school.
March 20 (UPDATE: THIS HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO March 22, 2019)
Student applications due. All required portions of the online application must be completed by this date.
Late March- Early April 2019
Applicants visit PTECH and participate in interviews. Each school district will coordinate with PTECH to arrange visits.
Application Review Committee meets.
By April 30
Acceptance and wait-list letters mailed home.