Present: Kristi Beedon, Carla Bengle-Mackey, Terri Brown, Laura Campagna, Tariyka Chaulk, Sarah Cordts, Dawn Frank, Flo Glasser, Karen Johnson, Crystal Keck, Bobbie Lindsay, Karen Pelletier, Stacy Silcock, Amber Smith, Christine Suhr, Dan Towne, Meghan Wakefield
Absent: Sheila Crouse, Eric Trahan, Peggy Trzaskos, Mary VanPatten, Tammy Jones
Kids Discover Training
Representatives from the Kids Discover website gave a short presentation and demonstration of the platform. HFM BOCES school districts have a trial of the platform until June. Please contact the SLS office for login information.
Welcome and Introductions
- Everyone in attendance introduced themselves.
Capital District Library Council Update
- Gave a brief overview of the CDLC eform which can be used to interlibrary loan materials from CDLC libraries.
- Shared information on CDLC’s Direct Access Program.
- A resource sharing symposium will be held on April 22, 2020.
- A High School to College Interest group meeting will be on March 12th at Columbia High School in East Greenbush.
Evans Library at Fulton-Montgomery Community College Update
- The current library director will be retiring in May and the current Electronic Resources and Systems librarian will be stepping in.
- Representative Paul Tonko visited The Evans Library to donate 30 books from The Library of
- Congress’ surplus books program. The titles will be part of a career exploration collection.
- Evans Library also purchased exercise bikes for the library. They will be working with the biology department to test if exercising while studying has any effect on student performance.
Library Advocacy Day 2020
- Three items were promoted throughout the day:
- Increase in funding for all libraries
- Equitable access to school librarians for elementary school students
- Public library trustee training
- Meeting attendees wrote letters to legislators asking that further action be taken in requiring NYS certified Library Media Specialists in elementary schools.
SLS Awards Luncheon
- A request for suggestions for future awards ceremonies was posed.
- This year’s banquet will be held at HFM BOCES on April 8th.
- ENYSLMA Update
- 2 scholarships for the SSL conference in May will be offered in the spring.
- The COO of We Need Diverse Books, Dhonielle Clayton, will be speaking at The Waters Edge Lighthouse in Schenectady on April 22 starting at 5:00pm.
- Next council meeting
- Conflict in dates. A survey will be sent out to council members to help find another common time.
- Annual Tech Retreat will be held on April 3-5 in Rensellearville.
- Anyone interested in attending please contact the SLS office.
- ByLaws – adjustments made to ByLaws sent to council members via email following December Council meeting – Council approved said changes.
- Council: TBD
- Library Management and Student Engagement Workshop: March 20, 2020
- Annual Tech Retreat: April 3-5, 2020
- National School Librarian Day: April 4, 2020
- SLS Awards Luncheon: April 8, 2020
- Regional Workshop with Barbara Stripling: May 26, 2020
- SSL Conference (Verona): May 28-30, 2020