Kristi Beedon, Carla Bengle-Mackey, Laura Campagna, Tariyka Chaulk, Sarah Cordts, Flo Glasser, Amber Smith, Christine Suhr, Eric Trahan, Mary VanPatten
Absent: Kathy Gundrum and Dan Towne
Welcome and Introductions
Everyone in attendance introduced themselves.
Council Bylaws Review
- An overview of the council bylaws was given.
- Suggestions were made regarding updates to the current council bylaws.
- Elimination of vice-chairperson position.
- Organizational meeting in the spring.
- Chairperson elected in the spring for a two-year term.
- In the absence of a chairperson, the SLS director will designate a substitute
- Discussion about the filling of the school administrator council seat.
School Library System Plan of Service Review
- An overview of the SLS plan of service was given.
- Examples of how each goal is met were presented.
- Discussion about the challenges of providing access to large print books.
Gloversville Public Library Tour
- Christine Peses, former library board president and current library chairperson, led the group on a tour of the newly renovated library.
Mohawk Valley Library System Update
- Discussion about the limitations that are being placed on e-book circulation and a call for publishers to stop limiting ebook access for libraries and their patrons.
- Visit www.ebooksforall.org for more information.
- Those in attendance, who also attended the conference, shared information about the conference and the sessions they attended.
Regional Workshop with Barbara Stripling
- Needed to be rescheduled. No new date confirmed.
Interlibrary Coordination and Development Committee
- The ICAD committee met in December to decide the theme for this year’s elementary school grant.
- All HFM elementary school libraries took advantage of the funds allocated to their schools.
Interlibrary Loan Handbook Committee
- The committee will meet following the December and March council meetings.
Long Range Planning Committee
- The committee will meet on January 24th.
- Meeting attendees wrote letters to legislators asking that further action be taken in mandating information literacy instruction and requiring NYS certified Library Media Specialists in elementary and secondary schools.
- SLS is researching and meeting with potential vendors for a new library management system.
- A workshop focusing on library management and student engagement will be held on March 20, 2020. Library management system vendors will be in attendance.
- Nomination forms will be sent out in January and due to the SLS in February.
- Nominations for administrators and collaborators were stressed.
- A new representative for the HFM BOCES region is needed.
- They will be hosting author Jarrett J. Krosoczka at the NYLA office in Guilderland on Jan 23, 2020, from 6:30-8:00.
- Long Range Planning Committee Meeting: Jan. 24, 2020
- Library Advocacy Day: February 25, 2020
- Communication Coordinators: March 5, 2020
- Council: March 5, 2020; April 29, 2020
- SLS Spring Workshop: March 20, 2020
- School Library Month: April
- National School Librarians Day: April 4, 2020
- SLS Awards Luncheon: April 8, 2020
- SSL Conference (Verona): May 28-30, 2020