New Visions Education
New Visions Education is an academically rigorous one-year program intended for students interested in pursuing a career in the K-12 education field. Through the program, students will gain field experience working in various local school districts.
Students will have the opportunity to explore different career paths through extended job shadowing and internships working with classroom teachers, school psychologists, counselors, social workers and special education teachers.
Students will also have the opportunity to complete Fulton-Montgomery Community College coursework earning up to six college credits. Admissions criteria apply to participate in New Visions programs. A complete application and a minimum 85 GPA are required.
- Students gain an understanding of the theory and practice of professional ethics
- Students learn effective classroom management strategies and application
- Students learn about the New York State Learning Standards
- Students understand New York State Certification requirements
- Students learn to work with special needs students
- Students explore and identify career goals
- Students explore “Hot Topics” in Education
- Students complete required shadowing/internship experiences with educational professionals
- Students learn to cultivate Parent/Teacher/Community relationships
High School Credit Earned:
1 English 12, 0.5 Participation in Government, 0.5 Economics