The HFM Cosmetology program provides students with the professional skills necessary to pass the practical and written components of the New York State Licensing Board Examinations.
Only licensed cosmetologists may work in salons in New York State. To qualify for the licensing exam, students must complete a minimum of 1,000 hours of approved instruction.
A salon clinic open to members of the local community provides students with the opportunity to practice their technical skills and gain real life experience in their field. Upon successful completion, students are eligible to receive their temporary Cosmetology license and apply to New York State to take the written and practical licensing examinations.
- Acquire the knowledge, practical skills and 1,000 hour training requirement to meet New York State Cosmetology testing criteria
- Perform basic manipulative skills in the areas of hairstyling, hair shaping, hair coloring, hair extensions, wigs, chemical texture services, scalp and hair conditioning, skin care and make up, manicures, pedicures, nail art and artificial nail enhancements
- Understand and practice safety in the salon (OSHA, MSDS, and EPA)
- Apply learned theory, technical information and related matter to assure sound judgments, decisions and procedures
- Project a positive attitude, sense of personal integrity and self confidence
- Practice effective communication skills, poise and proper grooming
Essential Skills for Success:
- Proficiency in English language arts
- Proficiency in Mathematics
- Exemplary attendance
- Good hand/eye coordination
- Time Management skills
- Effective organizational skills
- Engaging/friendly personality
- Teamwork skills