HFM BOCES COVID-19 Protocols
HFM BOCES is following the latest guidance from the New York State Department of Health regarding COVID-19. For other COVID-19 information and forms, contact Connie Grant (Assistant Director of Human Resources) at firstname.lastname@example.org or (518) 736-4319.
Illness/positive COVID test
- As with any infectious illness, students and staff who test positive for COVID-19, or who show symptoms, are asked to stay home from school and follow the Centers for Disease Control’s Isolation Guidance.
- Someone who tested positive and has no symptoms may return to school after day 5. (Note that quarantine for those who are exposed to COVID-19 is no longer required, regardless of vaccination status.)
- Someone who is sick (has symptoms) may return to school after day 5 if they have been fever-free for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication) and symptoms are improving.
- People who have been sick, or tested positive, should wear a mask through day 10.
- HFM BOCES employees who test positive for COVID-19 should reference the Guide to NYS Paid COVID Leave.
- Testing is recommended for people with symptoms of COVID-19 as soon as possible after symptoms begin.
At-home test kits
- HFM BOCES provides at-home COVID-19 test kits for students. If you need a home COVID test, please contact the school nurse in your child’s program.
- COVID-19 vaccinations are not required to attend HFM BOCES programs, with the exception of upper class PTECH students who are attending classes on the FMCC and SUNY Cobleskill campus, where the vaccine is required.
- Children ages 6 months and older are all eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Children older than 5 are eligible for a booster. For more information, visit ny.gov/vaxtoschool.
- While masks are not required in classrooms or on school buses, any student or staff member may wear a mask while at school to prevent the spread of illness. Wearing a mask is each individual’s choice, and bullying, harassment, or discouragement from wearing a mask will not be tolerated.
- Mask-wearing is recommended for at least 10 days following a positive COVID test, or COVID illness.
Routine cleaning in our school buildings continues to be an important strategy for reducing the spread of illness.
- High-risk areas such as health offices, classrooms, lunchrooms, athletic rooms, bathrooms and high-traffic areas are cleaned (by custodial staff nightly using Trident disinfectant spray guns filled with BETCO GE Fite Bac disinfectant).
- High-touch surfaces such as desks, chairs, light switches are cleaned (by staff in the classroom, between morning and afternoon classes, using spray disinfectant, and disinfectant wipes.)
- Lunch tables are cleaned between seatings, using spray bottle disinfectant and wipes.
- Handrails and door handles are disinfected by custodial staff throughout the day using spray disinfectants and disinfectant wipes.
Updated August 2023