School meals will continue to be available to all students, including those attending school in-person and those learning remotely. While in-person classes are in session, students attending embedded BOCES programs at a component school district will continue to participate in the district’s school meal program and will follow the district’s safety procedures.
For students served by the HFM School Nutrition Service, meals will not be served in cafeterias. Meals will be provided through either a “grab and go” system or delivered directly to classrooms. Regardless of the manner in which students receive meals, all meals will be eaten in classrooms. Students do not need to wear face coverings when eating so long as they are appropriately socially distanced.
For student meals on-site at BOCES programs:
- The sharing of food and beverages (e.g., buffet style meals, snacks) is prohibited, unless individuals are members of the same household.
- Signs will be posted in the classroom to remind students not to share food.
- Students, faculty, and staff will observe social distancing while eating meals in school. Adequate space will be reserved to do so.
- Food service staff will be wearing the proper PPE while working, preparing and delivering meals.
- Appropriate hand hygiene will be promoted through staff modeling, frequent reminders, and posters in each classroom and throughout the school.
- All classrooms will be provided with hand sanitizer. Students will perform hand hygiene before and after eating.
- Meals will be packaged in single use disposable material. Silverware and condiments will also be prepackaged for single use.
- Meal sharing and buffet style cafeteria lines will not be allowed.
- Food brought from home may only be consumed by the students and staff from the same household.
- All food allergies are documented in the BOCES point of sales system and communicated to food service staff and each classroom staff member working with any student with a food allergy. Appropriate signage will be posted in each classroom regarding food allergies. BOCES will follow the guidance provided by the student‘s physician for food substitutes per their medical notes on file.
- Signs for proper hand washing will be posted in each classroom and throughout the building.
- Signs will be posted in each classroom about maintaining social distancing. Classroom size will be limited to provide social distancing and each desk will be at least six feet apart.
- HFM BOCES will be following the US CDC and DOH Health and Safety guidelines for reopening schools.
- Meals will be provided free of charge to all students (Please note: CTE students acccess meals at their home districts according to home district policies.)
- Translation services will be provided when necessary to communicate with families in multiple languages.
When students are in a remote learning setting, the student’s home district will provide at-home meals. Students who are on a daily alternating instructional schedule will have an option to pick up their meals prior to leaving the building the day before. Students who are scheduled for remote instruction every other week, will be provided meals by their home districts during those weeks.
Compliance with Child Nutrition Program Requirements
HFM BOCES will continue to follow all current federal and state regulations as required and continue to follow any evolving updates provided by CDC, DOH and NYSED. This information will be communicated to families through the HFM BOCES website. Translations will be provided as needed.
Food Service staff will:
- Maintain social distancing as much as possible
- Wear face coverings at all times unless the employee is not in the food preparation area or in the serving area (and can maintain social distancing from other staff)
- Use all chemical cleaners and disinfectants in the manner recommended by the manufacturer and your supervisor
- Wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when cleaning and using chemicals
- Follow US CDC Guidelines for Cleaning and Disinfecting the Facility
- Wash hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60% or 70% isopropyl alcohol
Cleaning daily cafeteria and kitchen:
- If using the cafeteria, clean and disinfect lunch tables, chairs (as possible) and partitions after each customer
- Clean and disinfect all food preparation areas (at least once daily)
- Clean and disinfect high touch surfaces including but not limited to:
- Handles on equipment (faucets, ovens, mixers)
- Drinking fountains
- Ice Machines
- Door handles and push plates
- Light switches
- Shared equipment (telephone, desktops, cash register, computer keyboards and mice). Please make sure appropriate cleaning methods and products are used for these types of equipment
- All trash receptacles emptied and trash removed from area
- Floors fully mopped
- Window in the door is cleaned at minimum once per week
- Walls are spot cleaned
- Clean/Disinfect sink and toilet area if applicable
- Re-stock all paper and soap products
- Clean Baseboards – Weekly
- Clean Light Fixtures – Weekly
- Replace Lights (as necessary)
Meals onsite – Cafeteria
HFM BOCES does not plan to have meals provided in the cafeteria. If a decision to use the cafeteria (common area) for meal service is made, the following will apply:
- Students will wash hand before each meal serve. All tables and seating arrangement will be positioned to maintain social distancing.
- Tables and chairs will be washed and disinfected between each group of students.
- Staff will be wearing proper PPE at all times.
- Visual signs will be posted on the outside cafeteria doors and also within the cafeteria to encourage social distancing, proper procedures for hand washing and discouraging the sharing of food and beverages.