The HFM BOCES Regional Transportation Service is seeking applicants for a full-time dispatcher-bus driver.
Interested applicants may send a cover letter and resume either by regular mail to: Aaron Flynn, Human Resources Manager, HFM BOCES, 2755 ST HWY 67, Johnstown, NY 12095 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Bus Driver-Dispatcher Position in the subject line.
Application deadline is January 16, 2019.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This position is primarily responsible for dispatching school buses, maintaining records on completed bus runs and calling in substitutes to replace Bus Drivers who are unable to make their normal and routine runs. On occasion will operate buses on a substitute basis or in response to emergencies. The work is performed under the general direction of the School Superintendent. The incumbent does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES (Illustrative but not exhaustive):
- Operates transportation computer software on a daily basis, including daily changes; Dispatches school buses;
- Assigns substitute bus drivers to operate school buses;
- Maintains trip sheets and posts data weekly on drivers runs;
- Maintains student computer transportation database to incorporate into district student database;
- Sets up and maintains rotation plans on off schedule bus runs;
- Oversees substitute bus runs, keeping records on all their special and regular runs;
- Works with mechanics to schedule bus maintenance and repair and parts ordering;
- Works as a bus driver on a substitute or for emergency purposes.
The above examples of duties are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good knowledge of the operation of a bus and of traffic safety practices and regulations; ability to operate a bus under all driving and road conditions;
- Good phone and communication skills;
- Ability to operate computer based software, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, School Tool and other programs;
- Ability to understand and follow simple oral and written directions;
- Ability to maintain simple clerical records;
- Ability to get along well with children and command their respect;
- Mental alertness;
Graduation from high school, possession of a high school equivalency diploma, or a high school individual education plan diploma, possession of the appropriate level New York State Driver’s License, and either:
A) Certificate or transcript (college or high school) showing completion of a computer course; or
B) One year of work experience involving the operation of a personal computer.