All potential students participate in the Test of Adult
Basic Education (TABE) to evaluate their reading, math
and writing skills prior to enrollment in a program.
Students will be assigned to the appropriate program based
on the results of their assessment. Assessment is an ongoing
process for all learners. Students will advance based on the
results of their assessments.
GRASP Connections (INACTIVE)
Give Ready Adults a Study Program (GRASP)
GRASP is a home-study HSE preparation program for adults who
cannot attend our regular classes because of work schedules,
family responsibilities, transportation problems or other
difficulties. You must be 21 or older, no exceptions.
Assessment is done to identify student needs, and individualized
lessons are designed.
On a regular two-week schedule, our experienced HSE teacher will
prepare an individualized study packet for each learner.
Learners will pick up these packets at a designated pick-up
location. Assignments cover the five areas that are on the HSE
exam. Study packets are returned to your teacher at their
Instructional materials may
consist of commercially printed materials. online software
suites, and other web-based resources. Internet access is
necessary to participate. Access is available at the Literacy
Zones and local libraries.
• Students must be 21 or older.
• Students must attend orientation & registration sessions, as
well as follow-up assessment sessions.
• Students must be assessed with the TABE and demonstrate
reading and math skills at the 9th grade level or higher.
• Students must be able to deliver their completed homework
packet and pick up their new homework packet every two weeks.
• Students must be able to dedicate 6 hours each week to
independent study and document that work.
• Students must be computer literate. This includes the ability
to type and use a word processor.
• Students must have access to the Internet and email, whether
it be at home, at the library or another location.
• Students should schedule time for tutoring or join a study
group to enhance their learning.
[top of page]